Arizona Commissions of African-American Affairs
What will be State priorities for 2020?
- Racial Impact Statements
A requirement that for every law passed, it has to have a racial impact statement attached like an environmental impact statement describing not only how much it is going to cost, but any differential impacts it will have on different ethnic groups.
- Ban the Box
2019 was the closest we have gotten so far. SB1437 passed committee after it was stripped of housing and increased to those with more employees. But it was never heard on the floor.
- Criminal Justice – Mandatory Minimums
We have tried to abolish before and got nowhere. But there is some energy for criminal justice reform and lowering of rate of imprisonment.
- For-profit Prisons – Abolish
There are many issues to look at including replacing mandatory comparison in cost, lack of escape fund as required by law, lack of transparency and accountability. Several banks have divested from for-profit prisons due to using them for border detentions.
- Stand your Ground – A.R.S. §13-411 and 419.
Have tried before to eliminate this, got nowhere.
- The Police Bill of Rights – ARS 38-1101 -1116
Normal labor relations law, requiring just cause, hearing, notice, representation, appeal, what we all should have. It’s not the reason officers are not disciplined.
- Felon voting/restoration of rights – HB 2080
Changes last year but needs a lot more, HB 2080, could try a Florida type bill.
- Prison Gerrymandering
Is a national NAACP priority
- Equal Rights Amendment
Need one more state to make 38.
- Good time Credits:
Rep. Blackmun – felony 4,5,6 revise law to allow more good time credit, but not retroactive.
- State rules for institutions that hold/detain immigrants/refugees/asylum seekers.
- Expanding Eviction Assistance Programs.
- Recreational Marijuana initiative.
- Legislation to end hair discrimination.